[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Proposal regarding cleaning up our samples collection

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Nov 5 00:17:18 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 09:50:33PM +0100, Ivo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I mentioned recently on ffmpeg-devel, I have taken on the job of
> reorganizing and maintaining our samples collection at
> samples.mplayerhq.hu.
>
> Before I actually start working on it, I want to share the following
> proposal with the developers on both ffmpeg-devel and mplayer-dev-eng. It
> has been based on the ideas put forward by Aurelien and Michael.
>
> Filename conventions: ( [] means optional, "" means literal )
>
> [issue000001-]container-vcodec-acodec-[subtitles-]filename.extension
> [issue000001-]"image"-format-filename.extension
>
> Accompanying text files will have the same filename with the .txt extension.
>

> Directory layout:
>
> all         // contains all the actual files
>
> // All other directories contain symlinks to the files in all
>
> issues
>     issue000001
>     issue000002
> container
>     containerx
>     containery
> vcodec
>     vcodecx
>     vcodecy
> acodec
>     acodecx
>     acodecy
> subtitles
>     subtitlesx
>     subtitlesy
>
> et cetera.
>
> Example:
>
> all/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi
> issues/issue000001/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
> container/avi/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
> vcodec/mpeg4/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
> acodec/mp3/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
> subtitles/ass/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
>
> In case there is a *.txt file, it will be linked from the same places.
>

> I could extend the hierarchy by subdividing the subdirectories further.
> For example:
>
> all/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi
> issues/issue000001/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
> container/avi/mpeg4/mp3/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
> vcodec/mpeg4/avi/mp3/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
> acodec/mp3/avi/mpeg4/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
> subtitles/ass/avi/issue000001-avi-mpeg4-mp3-ass-fubar.avi@
>

> This will increase the number of symlinks dramatically, but makes it easier
> to find a certain combination of container and codecs.
>
> After we have settled on a common filename convention and directory layout,
> I will setup a framework of a few scripts and apply them to the current
> mess. After that, I'll keep maintaining the collection manually. I don't
> think a cronjob for automation is necessary, at least not anything beyond a
> script that sends me an e-mail when new files have arrived in incoming.
>

> Any comments, suggestions, opinions?

comments,
files can contain only video or only audio, they can contain more than
1 video or audio codec.

Also it likely makes sense to keep/have additional directores like
idct_rounding_artifacts
old_divx
AV_sync_issues
non_interleaed_avi
all_audio_in_single_chunk_avi

also mplayer and ffmpeg issue numbers have to be kept somehow seperated

While the State exists there can be no freedom; when there is freedom there
will be no State. -- Vladimir Lenin