[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Proposal regarding cleaning up our samples collection

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Wed Nov 5 12:21:06 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 07:29:25AM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> Ivo <ivop at euronet.nl> writes:
>>
>> > mp_issue000123+nut+mpeg4-snow+mp3-dts-pcm+ass-srt+broken_stream_switching.nut
>>
>> Are you expecting bug submitters to follow this procedure? Are are
>> developers expected to rename uploaded files to the proposed policy? Or
>> are you going to adapt the bug reporting policy at [1] as well?
>>
>> It seems that the already rather high bar [1] for reporting bugs is
>> raised even higher. I just wanted to ask if you are aware of this and
>> indeed support this move.
>
> alot of this could be done automatically by a cronjob ...
> extracting codecs/container being one
>
> uploading through a web form checked by javascript could be considered
> as well ...
> all just random ideas ...

One possible problem with the above-mentioned naming scheme (for
renaming files, at least) is that many many bugreports say something
like "see some_decode_error.h264 for bug," and if the file is renamed,
it may no longer be obvious which file corresponds with the ticket...

Dark Shikari