[FFmpeg-devel] donation for snow

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Nov 7 11:09:40 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 09:02:13AM +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> [...]
> > code lives or dies depending on developers pushing things forward or not,
> > and iam surely sad that noone is working on snow. Especially as there are
> > many possibilities and ideas of what and how it could be improved both
> > quality and speed wise.
> >
> > 3 things that hurted snows development surely where
> > * loosing the snow SOC project
> > * having motion estimation and ratecontrol actively developed in x264 but
> >   none of the improvments merged back.
> > * very few people working on it ...
> >

> > Basically in the end its either, I finish snow alone or it dies ...
> [...]
>
> Maybe, it would be useful to have a list of things which have to be done
> (listed in order of increasing difficulty, so that even not-so-skilled
> developers can help...).

cleanup and simplify these 2 are the most important in no
particular order.

Currently snow.c is too messy for people to easily jump onto it and
try different things it seems ...

i should have rejected all optimizations that reduced readability but i
didnt

Thus i think the very first and clearly most important step for continuing
snow development is to remove all the messy optimizations

This should make it much easier to understand the code and work with it.

one, that should be reverted is r4101, but this is old and thus no way to
revert without understanding the code ...

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it. -- Voltaire