[FFmpeg-devel] [POLICY] Patches application threats

Måns Rullgård mans
Sat Nov 8 14:51:09 CET 2008

Stefano Sabatini <stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> writes:

> I still believe that that such a practice can still be useful in some
> cases, for example when:
>
> 1) the patch has been thorouhghly discussed

This also suggests that the patch is controversial, and committing
controversial changes without approval is definitely not good.

> 2) more than one ping have been sent with no maintainer reaction

All that means is that nobody wants or has time to look at it.  It
does *NOT* magically make the patch correct.  If a maintainer
vanishes, a new one must be appointed.

> 3) the patch is fairly trivial

What seems trivial to the patch author might still be wrong.

> In these cases I think the practice is not evil, since it decreases
> the contributor frustration due to its work not being applied.
>
> Most patches of mine belong to this category so maybe I misused of
> this practice, sorry if this is the case, it wasn't my intention at
> all to be unfriendly.

I never believed it was your intention to be unfriendly.  Please don't
take my complaints personally.  Your contributions are valuable, even
if they sometimes need a few adjustments before being committed.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com