[FFmpeg-devel] donation for snow

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Sun Nov 9 21:02:09 CET 2008

Hi Michael,

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
>> Maybe, it would be useful to have a list of things which have to be done
>> (listed in order of increasing difficulty, so that even not-so-skilled
>> developers can help...).
>
> cleanup and simplify these 2 are the most important in no
> particular order.

Ok; I started looking at the code, to see if I can help with this...
And you are right: it is not easy to fully understand snow.c code ;-)

> Thus i think the very first and clearly most important step for continuing
> snow development is to remove all the messy optimizations
>
> This should make it much easier to understand the code and work with it.
>
> one, that should be reverted is r4101

Yes... I was quite surprised by slice_buffer_load_line() and
slice_buffer_release()... I was thinking about submitting a patch for
these 2 functions, but I see you want them to be removed

> but this is old and thus no way to revert without understanding the code ...

I'll try to see if I can understand enough of the code to revert that
change. Just to be sure: r4101 was an optimisation, right? So, if I
properly remove it the output of the encoder/decode should not change,
right? (Is "make test" enough for checking if my modification is ok?).

			Thanks,
				Luca