[FFmpeg-devel] Questions about mpegaudio_parse

Yoav Steinberg yoav
Mon Nov 10 10:04:09 CET 2008

Hi,
I've got some questions relating to the mpegaudio_parse() implementation:
1) There seems to be logic in place for finding a minimal number of
valid and identical frame headers (see header_count) before returning
the next valid packet. In case of some inconsistencies this logic skips
valid packets until this minimal value is met, so the skipped packets
are never handled even if they are perfectly valid.
2) What is the rational behind these minimal values (if I get the code
correctly it's 3 consecutive identical frame headers)?
3) Would a patch where skipped packets are buffered and returned in
order in case the minimal number of headers is reached be welcome?
4) There seems to be an ifdefed out mechanism for handling "free
format", what is this? Would a change as described in 3 require special
handling for this case?
I'd greatly appreciate any help in clarifying these issues.
Thanks,
	Yoav.