[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-user] configure can't find existing x264 installationon Debian

Måns Rullgård mans
Fri Nov 14 12:51:11 CET 2008

Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
> Hi Baptiste,
>
> On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 19:41 -0800, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
>> Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
>> >
>> > Excellent!
>> >
>> > I do, however, have to question related to this issues:
>> >     1. shouldn't we finally make -cvslog list readonly so
>> >      that any comments get posted to -devel ? While
>> >      hunting down the commit that fixed the problem
>> >      I realized that Uoti has commented on the original
>> >      commit over at -cvslog. Of course, I overlooked his
>> >      email, since I don't actively track -cvslog.
>>
>> I find easier to answer to the related commit.
>>
>> >      2. Why don't we have any regression tests for H.264?
>> >      If it is a simple matter of adding some -- I can try to
>> >      take care of that tomorrow.
>>
>> Basically because we have no encoder, however we could put samples in
>> the test suite, it's in TODO AFAIK.
>
> Or we could add a basic encoder... ;-)

I am quite strongly opposed to adding basic (i.e. crap) versions of
anything, more so when a perfectly good external library exists and
is supported.  If a basic version exists, users will fail to enable
the proper support, and they'll get bad encoding results, ultimately
tarnishing the reputation of FFmpeg.  Furthermore, a trivial H.264,
if such a thing exists, will not exercise much of the decoder.

I know you wrote a very basic H.264 encoder.  Don't take this personally.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com