[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-user] configure can't find existing x264 installationon Debian

Panagiotis Issaris takis.issaris
Fri Nov 14 13:45:18 CET 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 11:51 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
> > Hi Baptiste,

> >> I find easier to answer to the related commit.

> >> Basically because we have no encoder, however we could put samples in
> >> the test suite, it's in TODO AFAIK.
> >
> > Or we could add a basic encoder... ;-)
>
> I am quite strongly opposed to adding basic (i.e. crap) versions of
> anything, more so when a perfectly good external library exists and
> is supported.

I disagree. Furthermore, even though libvorbis existed, a Vorbis encoder
was added.

> If a basic version exists, users will fail to enable
> the proper support, and they'll get bad encoding results, ultimately
> tarnishing the reputation of FFmpeg.

Same could be said for adding a Vorbis encoder:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t48898.html

And frankly, I disagree cause one can disable it by default or in some
other way give the external and higher quality encoder the priority. But
again, even that is not what happened in the Vorbis case.

> Furthermore, a trivial H.264,
> if such a thing exists, will not exercise much of the decoder.

The problem fixed with commit 15816 would have been caught. And problems
concerning CAVLC, the deblocking filter, the transform, motion vector
encoding, ... could all be caught. Indeed there's lots of features that
would not be tested, but I fail to agree that testing nothing is better
then testing the basics.

> I know you wrote a very basic H.264 encoder.  Don't take this personally.

If you just had left out the "crap", you wouldn't have had to add this
last sentence.

With friendly regards,
Takis