[FFmpeg-devel] seeking bug in theora codec libavcodec/vp3.c ?

Chris Stones chris.stones
Sun Nov 30 23:06:21 CET 2008

Hello,
  As you may be aware, ffmpeg is unable to correctly seek Theora video.
Attempting to seek (even to frame 0) shows only the moving parts of the
first few seconds, with static areas of the scene showing the contents of
the frame prior to seeking.
After a short while (presumably when a keyframe is hit) the video picture
becomes perfect again.
Am I correct in thinking these artefacts are occurring because the player
has seeked to an intermediate frame, instead of a keyframe ???

The Theora codec is stil using the the old pre 1.0 theora_* api, is nobody
activly maintining libabcodev/vp3.c ?

I intend to correct this problem, any pointers on where to start ?
I notice that the "flush" field of AVCodec is set to NULL, is this likely to
be the cause of the seeking artifacts ?

Where is seeking implemented, it does not seem to be codec specific.. i
assume it is container specific ?

Forgive the stupid questions, I'm new to video video encoding / decoding.

Thanks.

Christopher Stones (chris.stones at gmail.com)