[FFmpeg-devel] Compiling with Sun cc

Roman V. Shaposhnik rvs
Fri Oct 3 05:10:22 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 11:09 +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Petten? wrote:
> > "libavcodec/mpegvideo_enc.c", line 3288: warning: can not set non-default
> > alignment for automatic variable
>
> This basically means it does not support alignment for stack variable,
> which is probably a very bad thing, this is actually where I stopped and
> waited before continuing...

Well, it is very controversial thing, for one. The trouble is, that even
gcc can not really guarantee it, since initial stack assumptions are not
controlled by the compiler, but rather by the combination of an OS
and how linking was done.

We've discussed adding this feature to Sun Studio, but still I don't
know of portable and reliable way of doing it. Hence the current
state of affairs.

Thanks,
Roman.