[FFmpeg-devel] The roundup bug tracker

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò flameeyes
Fri Oct 3 12:59:33 CEST 2008

Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> writes:

I have been doing my share of bugtracking hunting last year as well for
xine, so maybe I can be of help at least a bit..

> - bugzilla 3.2 now supports everything Michael wanted from a
> bugtracker.

I haven't tried 3.2 yet, but for xine we've been using Bugzilla 3 since
last year (I tried flyspray first but it was a _huge_ mess and I decided
to give up with that). Right now http://bugs.xine-project.org/ runs on
PostgreSQL 8.3, no hiccups, no big deals, the compressed database dump
(that I mail to myself every night as a backup) is just over 5MB.

Considering the host is a vserver, where I also run postfix (for
bugzilla mail mostly), my own blog and my git repositories, it doesn't
look that bad.

I guess the choice of database might be helping, though ;)

> - redmine looks like an improved trac and it's in ruby (thus requires a
> bit of care to scale properly)

Sincerely, as much as I like Ruby as a language, I don't think it's too
ready for prime time. And I say this well conscious I have my own blog
running on Typo (Ruby code), and I wrote a gitweb-alike software in
it. I'm still using Typo (which luckily improved overtime) since I have
all my database in there but if I had to start from scratch I'd be
sooner considering blojsom or Roller (in JSP, both). The only downtime
problem I had with the vserver has been last weekend because of the blog
(rather than Bugzilla).

> - trac itself got better (yet with large margins to improve)

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. I sincerely loathe trac with all
my heart, I just find it too clumsy to report bugs to, just two things
are worse than that: SF.net trackers (and they actually get worse!), and

> - mantis looks annoying as usual

... now I know you're kidding ;)

I used to look forward for Scarab (JSP) but the last release is from
early 2007 and it doesn't look like a final to me just yet, so I've
taken it out of the picture for now.

As for what concerns my experience with Flyspray (brr, PHP!): right
after I set it up a security issue came up (of course, PHP), a new point
release was released, but it had a lot of extra features on it, some of
which broke on PostgreSQL (that up to that point was referred to as
supported, then it was said not to be anymore. So yeah not a positive
one for Flyspray, although the interface was quite sexy...

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Petten?
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/