[FFmpeg-devel] Compiling with Sun cc

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos
Fri Oct 3 19:13:06 CEST 2008

Hi!

Roman V. Shaposhnik <rvs <at> sun.com> writes:

> > While I'm not sure if your comments concerning stack alignment were exactly
> > helpful,
>
> Well, helpfulness is in the eye of the beholder. There's more to stack
> variable alignment than what gcc fanboys usually assume. Rich Felker
> was spot on in this old thread. Although, I'm pretty sure that judging
> by your tone and background

Sorry if my tone was so bad, (it seems unlike you) I did compile ffmpeg with Sun
cc and it simply doesn't work with the "normal" optimisations turned on, so IMO,
it doesn't help arguing "it has a high chance of working".

Regarding my background: Could you explain the comment, I don't understand it?

> you're going to disregard his comments
> as much as you've disregarded mines:
>    http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2007-March/025904.html
>    http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2007-March/025940.html

To tell the truth, I can't comment much, except that current ffmpeg expects the
compiler to align the stack on a 16 byte boundary (and that icc can do that).

> > in this case, I just meant "It doesn't work without a patch to ffmpeg's
> > configure"
>
> Isn't the above the kind of truism not even worth mentioning? My
> question was about your technical requirements which it seems
> you don't really have.

To explain once more: My point about dependencies was just that they don't work
out-of-the-box (as mem.h and bswap.h needed patches I - also - wrote, MMX
optimisations just don't work at all afaics).

> Unlike folks who actually maintain things
> around here.

Thank you, now I'm not feeling so bad anymore about using a certain "tone";-)

Carl Eugen