[FFmpeg-devel] Fw: ffmpeg GPL violation

Ramiro Polla ramiro.polla
Sun Oct 5 06:36:27 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 1:01 AM, Gianluigi Tiesi <mplayer at netfarm.it> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 09:59:58AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:

>> > they don't need to provide sources if the binary is built from
>> > unmodified ffmpeg source, the point is understand if their binary
>> > is modified or not
>>
>> You distribute MPlayer (and thus FFmpeg) yourself, you should really
>> know better.  It's disheatening to see how few people seem to have
>> actually read the (L)GPL.  Now please go back and read it, thanks.
>>

> If the source is unmodified a link should be enough, please
> don't tell me that I need to put online svn exports on
> each binary release :)

You need to put online svn exports on each binary release :)

And what if mplayerhq goes down? How does the user get the code to
your binaries?

>From the LGPL:

-----
4. You may copy and distribute the Library (or a portion or derivative
of it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the
terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you accompany it with
the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be
distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
customarily used for software interchange.

If distribution of object code is made by offering access to copy from
a designated place, then offering equivalent access to copy the source
code from the same place satisfies the requirement to distribute the
source code, even though third parties are not compelled to copy the
source along with the object code.
-----

I only quoted a part, but follow Diego's suggestion: read the entire
license. It's not long, nor hard to read either. The text is pretty
straight-forward. Print out a copy, read over it a couple of times...

An svn export && tar cfvj is not hard... (and maybe we could bring
back the make tar command to ease that too).

Ramiro Polla