[FFmpeg-devel] need help fixing sws on PPC

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Oct 5 21:27:31 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 01:42:44PM +0200, Vitor Sessak wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer escreveu:
> > Hi
> >
> > Can someone who has a PPC and a x86 play a little with swscale to find
> > out which convertions do not match?
> > This is rather important as our regression tests as well as fate depend
> > on it.
> > Note -sws_flags +bitexact should be used also -sws_flags +accurate_rnd
> > may be needed.
> > Also note, some scalers still use floats to find coeffs (like spline)
> > iam not interrested in them, that is currently area, nearest neighbor
> > bilinear and bicubic are the onlx ones iam interrested in.
> >
> > And last, if something does not match, pleas explain how it does differ
> > +-1 rounding or red/blue exchanged or ...
> >

> Besides rounding, there is still something wierd about swscale. For
> example, I was looking at he idcin test
> http://fate.multimedia.cx/index.php?test_spec=107 .
[...]
> Unless I am missing something, there should be no calculation (and even
> less rounding) doing PAL8 -> RGB conversion, but it still gives
> different output with and without swscaler.

I did mention several times that swscale uses yuv internally, the old
scaler only supports yuv420 scaling. So which ever you use when scaling
is involved pal->rgb will do rgb->yuv->rgb as well, and with the old one
chroma would be subsampled by 2x2.

if you only care about the unscaled pal->rgb24/32 case, you can add a special
converter for that case, which should be trivial.

if you want the scaled case to be more exact, the input pal->yuv code and
horizontal scaler should be where you should look, making it use more
than 8 bit per component yuv.

Adding a rgb path to the scaler is possible as well but wont make much
of a difference as the 8bit rgb output will be much more limiting than
any rounding 16bit yuv could introduce.

Democracy is the form of government in which you can choose your dictator