[FFmpeg-devel] [PATCH] Use pkgconfig for dirac libs
Wed Oct 22 20:32:29 CEST 2008
On 22-10-2008 19:43, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:21:51AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
>> On 22-10-2008 1:23, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>>> Use of pkgconfig is discouraged; it creates more problems than it
>>> solves, especially when cross-compiling.
>> How so?
> Maybe you can start by answering the following questions:
> What exactly is the "problem" pkg-config is out to solve?
Have a low overhead, non timeconsuming way to get:
- package presence and version
- cflags and ldflags needed to properly link to the package
- checks for optional deps that may or may not trigger different behaviors.
> How did people deal with those "problems" during the previous decades
> without pkg-config?
- using package specific foo-config giving in various ways the same
- using custom m4 macros to give the very same informations using
- every time redo the various compile&run you may find in the custom m4
and/or trying random egrep on headers.
all of them are more time consuming than just having pkg-config and have
just to produce a .pc file for your library...
More information about the ffmpeg-devel