[FFmpeg-devel] Please clean up incoming

Ivo ivop
Sun Oct 26 00:54:20 CEST 2008

On Thursday 23 October 2008 01:10, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> The Wanderer wrote:
> > Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> > > One simple obvious suggestion.
> > > Have the following directory tree:
> > >
> > >   all
> > >   containers
> > >     avi
> > >     nut
> > >     mkv
> > >   audio
> > >     pcm
> > >     mp3
> > >     aac
> > >   video
> > >     theora
> > >     vp6
> > >     h264
> > >   subtitle
> > >     dvd
> > >     ass
> > >   issues
> > >     issue510
> > >     issue511
> > >
> > > Then put *all* the actual samples unsorted in the 'all' directory,
> > > and add symlinks in other relevant sub-directories pointing to the
> > > actual sample. More directories/categories can be added at will when
> > > the need arise.
>
> Some other random idea of categories:
>  - files with multiple audio tracks
>  - files containing attachment objects
>  - files containing full metadata
>  - files containing chapters description
>  - video_fourcc (with all known fourcc as subdirectories)
>  - fullHD

I like your idea. But, there's also another issue we should think about. The
Multimedia Wiki references a LOT of those files. If we change the current
directory 'structure', all those links will be broken.

We could either:

1.) Just change it and update the Wiki whenever we find a broken link, or
2.) keep the current file- and directorynames, but change them into symlinks
to new/all/* and put the new category directories under new/.
3.) Something else perhaps.

--Ivo