[FFmpeg-devel] Broken third party software

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik
Mon Sep 15 00:24:04 CEST 2008

On Sunday, 14 September 2008 at 23:48, Frans de Boer wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 22:53 +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sunday, 14 September 2008 at 22:22, Frans de Boer wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Yes, if I had the knowledge I would volunteer, but I never used svn
> > > before but only followed directions on the various web pages whenever it
> > > was required. Why would you put those directions there, if you assume
> > > that everyone must have intimate knowledge of svn?
> >
> > We assume nothing like that.
>
> Look at your previous reply:
> ?----------------------------
  ^
Would you mind not inserting non-printable characters into your mails?

> There is SVN history. You can checkout any revision you like.

That was my response to your claim that we have no archive available.
We do have SVN. If you can't learn how to access it, then I'm sorry,
but that's not my problem.

> > > Since svn is the ONLY way to get the FFmpeg source,
> >
> > Not true.
>
> Elaborate please?

First, there are source snapshots (either full checkouts or exports)
of the SVN repository.

Second, FFmpeg is packaged for all major Linux distributions. Their
packagers ensure that all dependent applications compile as well,
so you could simply use one of those packages.

[...]
> > Granted,
> > top-replying may be common for business e-mail, but when you come
> > to a mailing list, you should respect its posting rules.
>
> Ok, where are the rules posted?

You could only miss it if you hadn't looked.

> And yes, I am already over 29 years
> involved with the internet and using this top-reply action. And yes, I

You keep repeating that as if it were an excuse. It isn't.

[...]
> > > and....show me where I wrote "I demand". For some of you: Please, try to
> > > read a little better and refrain from your personal interpretations.
> >
> > Let me put back the quote, which you deleted:
> >
> > That, to my non-native (so please forgive me if I'm wrong about this) English
> > ear, is a demand, even if you don't use the word itself. Little words like
> > "please" or "could you" would've made a world of difference. You might want
> > to keep that in mind the next time you start telling people what to do.
>
> You can't just quote what you like the best, you have to read things in
> their context. The above can not be classified as being a demand (what
> you yourself suggested) but should be seen as suggestions in the context
> of that message. But your right, I have forgotten to make it explicit
> myself.

No, it can definitely be construed as a demand. Suggestions are made
using different tone of language. When writing, you should always think
how people might read you, not how you think they should.

This is EOT from my side. There've been enough off-topic postings already.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu | Livna http://rpm.livna.org