[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libswscale into the FFmpeg SVN repo

Christian Iversen chrivers
Sat Apr 4 16:02:02 CEST 2009

Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Saturday 2009-04-04 12:54:24 +0200, Christian Iversen encoded:
>> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>>> Diego once said there is a way to merge the svn repos while
>>> maintaining chronological history.  Alternatively, it can be merged as
>>> part of a transition to git.  It is not advisable to move to git and
>>> merge the trees at a later time since that would rewrite the entire
>>> history and invalidate any branches people might have.
>> Generally, it's possible to merge the the file sets from 2 repositories,
>> such that the revisions will be chronologically correct, and all files
>> are available in the final repos. However, I don't think it's possible
>> (at least easily) to merge to repositories while preserving old revision
>> numbers. So if you do this chronologically-and-historically-correct
>> merge, all the references to "fixed in rev xxxx" will be "broken".
>
> We may add in the historical log commits:
> OLD-REPO-ID rXXX
>
> This may be applied to both a SVN+SVN->SVN and a SVN+SVN->git merge.

That's true. I don't know exactly how trivial this is, but it should
definitely be possible.

Now, if we can get the tools to do what we want, it should even be
possible to merge the changesets into the same amount of revisions. Of
course, this means that the dates will then be wrong, but I don't know
if that's better or worse?

> This doesn't fix the problem of finding with git/svn the exact
> revision of an old-repo-id (for example with svn -cXXX) but at least
> make it possible by grepping on the complete commit log file.

True.

--
Med venlig hilsen
Christian Iversen