[FFmpeg-devel] Who is against GIT now? (Was: [RFC] libswscale into the FFmpeg SVN repo)

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras
Mon Apr 6 14:40:22 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> wrote:
> Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Reimar D?ffinger
>> <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

>>> Well, to be honest I no longer see a point for git for a central,
>>> master repository, and there are known inconveniences (no usable
>>> way to modify commit messages, no simple revision number, all
>>> references to revisions in commit messages would break
>>
>> x264 seems to be doing just fine continuing to use revision numbers
>> with git. ?A few extra client-side scripts might be useful
>> (revision_number_to_git_hash and vice versa), but that's about it.
>
> So git the perfect tool... as long as you write your own magic shell scripts
> to work around its shortcomings?

If you want to do non-standard things you need your own scripts.
Strangely the rest of the world is doing fine with SHA-1 id's. If you
strongly feel that git *must* have support for revision numbers you
are welcome to present your arguments in the git mailing list.

Personally, I don't see the point of revision numbers.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras