[FFmpeg-devel] Who is against GIT now? (Was: [RFC] libswscale into the FFmpeg SVN repo)

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Apr 6 15:07:16 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 03:40:22PM +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> wrote:
> > Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:

> >> x264 seems to be doing just fine continuing to use revision numbers
> >> with git. ?A few extra client-side scripts might be useful
> >> (revision_number_to_git_hash and vice versa), but that's about it.
> >
> > So git the perfect tool... as long as you write your own magic shell scripts
> > to work around its shortcomings?
>
> If you want to do non-standard things you need your own scripts.
> Strangely the rest of the world is doing fine with SHA-1 id's.

Strangely, some of the other distributed revision control systems do
implement version numbers.  At least mercurial and bazaar IIRC, which in
practice amounts to everyone except git.

Diego