[FFmpeg-devel] Stream Type 0x80 (video?)

Jose Mortensen josemortensen
Sat Apr 11 03:39:15 CEST 2009

2009/4/10 M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com>:
> Jose Mortensen <josemortensen at gmail.com> writes:

>>> ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming
>>>
>>> with a name like type80video.ts
>>
>> Done,
>>
>> 227 Entering Passive Mode (213,144,138,186,246,231)
>> 150 Ok to send data.
>>
>> 226 File receive OK.
>> 8400000 bytes sent in 63.9 secs (1.3e+02 Kbytes/sec)
>
> Mentioning the filename you used would have been nice, but I found the
> file.

Sorry about that, for some reason I though it would be the only file....

> That file is not a valid MPEG-TS stream. ?Several "reserved" fields
> which should be all ones are set to zero. ?Ignoring this, the video
> stream has two descriptors, type 0x83 and 0x86, both in the private
> range. ?There is no registration descriptor to identify any derived
> spec that may be in use.
>
> The video stream looks like MPEG2, and it contains user data sections
> starting with the string "GA94", suggesting that perhaps there is some
> relation to ATSC.

GA94 I think is CEA 708B closed captioning.

> Where did this file come from, exactly?

This file came from satellite broadcasting in the USA (how networks
broadcast content to cable companies and such).   It is supposed to be
"broadcast quality" stuff. I don't know which encoder was used, but It
was received by an Motorola IRD which has no problem what so ever
decoding this thing. Look for DSR-4410MD

I also pased it through a mpeg analyzer, which could not identify the
video stream either, alongs with a bunch of errors. The video size is
also not standard. What I don't understand is why the IRD has no
trouble decoding it. It is like there is a hidden agreement between
broadcasters and equipment manufacturers that they don't want anybody
to know.  And it is not the only one I have seen.

But enought about Conspiracy theories. I was wondering if somebody
knew about this convention, so I can do a proper patch to the avformat
libraries