[FFmpeg-devel] maintainer duties

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Apr 11 15:26:27 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 03:14:17PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 01:49:31PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> > > If this has not been decided, why is the function deprecated?  There
> > > should be a proper replacement first...
> >
> > It has been decided to put the palette in the AVPackets
> > how to do this is a question per decoder and per demuxer, some may have a
> > natural way to pass the palette, some might even say in a spec how to do it
> > (though i guess that would be the exception if it applies to any at all)
> > the rest could just have a 'P'<len> vs. 'D' prefixed to packets
> >
> > Besides AVPaletteControl in broken, it is not thread safe and does not work
> > in threaded players (ffplay being an example)
> > The deprecation of it just makes it nicely vissible that the code is broken
> > not deprecating it will just hide the bugs
>
> I am not disagreeing with the deprecation at all.  I am just saying that
> the way we handle deprecated functions could (and IMO should) be
> improved.

maybe it can, still in the end it boils down to people doing the changes
or not doing them.

> What's missing now that Carl Eugen applied his patch?

replacing the old style by the new. Which is not just a search & replace.

[...]
> > > What I want you to do is give proper attention to these matters and not
> > > leave them half-done.  When a function is deprecated, whomever creates
> > > the replacement should fix up the deprecated uses or coordinate efforts
> > > to get those uses replaced by maintainers or kindred spirits.
> >
> > iam pestering mike since years to fix AVPaletteControl in his decoders
>
> Well, turn up the heat a bit maybe ;)

/me increases the heat by +10?C
mike is it hot enough? ;)

I know you won't believe me, but the highest form of Human Excellence is
to question oneself and others. -- Socrates