[FFmpeg-devel] GSOC update on the CDXL demuxer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Wed Apr 15 10:13:26 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:08:09PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 09:59:31PM +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > MPlayer uses av_probe_input_format, also 1 MB is a lot if the input is
> > e.g. a stream via some slow network connection. That's no problem for
> > FFmpeg, after all if it tries to read that much it wouldn't work at all
> > otherwise, but for MPlayer there might be a native demuxer that handles
> > the format, and prereading 1MB for nothing is not reasonable.
>
> but mplayer could retry with a larger buffer if it didnt detect anything
> with a smaller one ... (maybe excluding the less reliable detections)

Sure, we already have "two" lavf demuxers, one quite at the end, that
one could reasonable use a larger buffer or even the open file function.
I didn't mean to imply that MPlayer would by design have any issue with
probe functions that need more data, it just hasn't been necessary so far
to implement something more advanced.