[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] WC3 decoder without AVPaletteControl

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Apr 15 16:21:01 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 03:50:56PM +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 03:26:28PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 02:40:43PM +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > > If you had a look at the CDXL demuxer I think the issue is similar:
> > > you have a header which contains the size of video and palette packets
> > > and some other information the decoder needs anyway. You can either
> > > manually write the information the decoder needs into a manually
> > > allocated AVPacket, hoping someone will notice the missing integer
> > > overflow check, or you just read the header via av_get_packet,
> > > extract the sizes, and use av_append_packet to have a full video
> > > packet with all the info necessary.
> >
> > realloc() is not free, it needs time and i dont like doing 1 realloc
> > call per packet if it can be avoided.
>
> We are talking about packets that will often be 4 - 32 bytes before, it
> may not be free, but AV_WL32 or whatever isn't free either.

And what is the relative speedof AV_WL32() and realloc(4) ?

besides, it seems your functions may be usefull for avi too

He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know. -- Lao Tsu