[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] WC3 decoder without AVPaletteControl

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Apr 15 23:43:12 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 01:51:32PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:32:29PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 01:22:10PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> >
> > [very boring "discussion"]
> >
> > > public API, nor av_shrink_packet but it's too late.
> >
> > a patch moving av_shrink_packet() to ff_shrink_packet() in lavf is welcome
> > av_shrink_packet() could be put under the appropriate #if version and removed
> > from the public header
> >
> > i have no real oppinion on doing this or not doing this
> >
> > but, this has absolutely nothing to do with palettes ...
> >
> > ontopic:
> > ill fix the avi demuxer as soon as the append packet code is in
> > svn. A solution with extradata is not possible for avi, nor is one
> > based on passing the palette through AVFormatContext practical.
> >

> How is this contructive at all ? What are you trying to achieve here ?
> Deliberately ignoring people ?

Its constructive in the sense that implementing it will lead to working
palette support.
This discussion did not lead to any new insights in how palette support
could be implemented in a way that works.
I have considered the extra field and extra flag in AVPacket years
ago, the global context doesnt work as the palette isnt global, and
using the context is what we do currently and that causes race conditions,
which is why its currently not working ...

I do NOT ignore suggestions that have advantages but I do ignore equivalent
suggestions that have no advantages, i rather move forward if noone has a
better suggestion.

Observe your enemies, for they first find out your faults. -- Antisthenes