[FFmpeg-devel] Suggestion for a centralized language-tag facility in libavformat

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Apr 17 15:16:22 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:13:42PM +0200, cyril comparon wrote:
> Hi and thank you for your very complete tips.
> However, being a developer myself, I still made the decisions I made
> for the following reasons:

> - no public dinstinction beween 639-2-B and 639-2-T: the main purpose
> is to provide one pivotal code space that could be used as a
> transition for every code-space conversion ; not two. I could have
> gotten rid of 639-2-T but I still wanted to be able to convert from
> it.
> - considering 639-2 codespace as a central codespace to convert
> through, no need to write x*(x-1) conversion functions but only
> 2*(x-1)

basically your system is not extendible, no single other language code
set can ever be added, SIL? no ISO 639-3? no

[...]
> - there won't be lots more of standard codespaces to integrate. Even
> the RFC1766 relies on 639-1 (plus an additional geographic marker).

see above

> - keeping things as simple as possible for the same result
> I am pretty confident my argument is sound but I am not an
> ffmpeg-developer so I'll let you with the final decision.

simple is good, non extendible, slow and bloated is bad.

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato