[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Libfaac not LGPL?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Apr 29 20:14:39 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:25:20PM +0300, Kostya wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:24:38PM -0400, Alex Converse wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Kostya <kostya.forjunk at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> > We have one huge advantage over the Vorbis scenario. Libvorbis is
> > still developed upstream. (Even if most of this development takes
> > place in the aoTuV fork and is backported.) Looking at the ChangeLog
> > the last real development to faac was done more than 4 years ago.
> > Everything since has been minor bug fixes. In this case just
> > FFmpegizing a hypothetical LGPL faac would be a real improvement.
> >
> > Alternatively I could try to graft my TNS (and the bits of FFmpeg it
> > sucks in) onto faac to make it truly LGPL. (Though we would have to go
> > through the FAAC codebase and make sure there is no other code under
> > the MPEG refsoft license in there.)
>
> Please don't - stalled faac helps ffaacenc development ;).

yes, faa* is a dead end
the whole reoccuring license issues and the apparent lack of interrest
from its developers about having a legally useable & distributeable lib
should be enough reason to not touch it ...

GMX, the mailprovider that uses RBL lists to reject mails from your friends
running their own mailserver at home. The mailprovider that obscures the
origin of mails (mis)identified as viruses. The mailprovider that improves
security my disallowing more secure forms of authentication.