[FFmpeg-devel] LATM BitStreamFilter

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Apr 30 23:56:49 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:21:06PM +1200, Paul Kendall wrote:
> Can I ask why LATM is preferred as a bit stream filter rather than
> as a decoder, or built into the AAC decoder, as ADTS is?

A simple use case
you have a demuxer that outputs AAC in LATM, and a muxer that doesnt
allow LATM.
Only a bitstream filter can fix this up in the current architecture unless
you want to change it to allow multiple demuxers to be chained, in which
case you could implement it as a demuxer too.
Now if LATM supports multiple AAC streams and this would be actually used in
practice then implementing it as a demuxer would be needed as a bitstream
filter cannot have more than 1 stream as output.

you seem fixed on only the goal of decoding, this is not good, we need
to be able to remove as well as add LATM surrounding AAC.
If the remuxng case with LATM removial as well as keeping LATM doesnt
work that would be reason to reject a patch.

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf