[FFmpeg-devel] Remove some optimizations from Makefile

Måns Rullgård mans
Sun Aug 2 17:37:18 CEST 2009

ami_stuff <ami_stuff at o2.pl> writes:

>> > The problematic optimization is "-funswitch-loops". When I compile FFmpeg with this flag enabled
>> > as a result:
>> >
>> > a) I get monstruary/slow binary generated for m68k.
>> >
>> > * libavcodec/dsputil.o + -03 flag -> 1,18MB
>> > * libavcodec/dsputil.o + -O2 flag -> 306KB
>>
>> Size isn't everything.
>
> I agree, as long as binary is faster, I don't care about size, bug
> when it's slower...

Are you measuring speed on real hardware this time?  Emulators don't count.
Have you reported the issue to gcc devs?  (Yeah, I know...)

>> > 2. GCC 3.4.0
>>
>> Who cares about that antediluvian version?
>
> The problem is that someone may have GCC 3.4.0 only installed and
> compile FFmpeg with it. As a result he will get broken FFmpeg
> executable.

Then he'll have to upgrade.  We already implicitly require gcc 4 for
several architectures.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com