[FFmpeg-devel] How to handle game resource files?

Andrew Brampton andrew
Fri Aug 7 15:29:12 CEST 2009

Hi FFmpeg developers,

Last weekend I was reverse engineering the sound and image format for
an old game (named "You don't know jack"). I have eventually figured
out the format for both the sounds and images, and I have already
written some code to play/display them. Next I thought I could add
these formats to FFmpeg, just for fun.

Before I attempt this I just wanted to ask a few questions

1) Would codecs for such a old game be wanted/allowed? I see that
FFmpeg already supports a number of old games.

2) The game stores multiple images/sounds/videos in a single resource
file. I don't know how this would work with FFmpeg. For example, if a
resource file has multiple images, would conceptually the resource
file be a video, with each image being a different frame? The same
with a resource file full of audio samples, would each audio sample
perhaps be a different track? Or would ffmpeg only work with the
image/sounds/videos once they had been extracted from the resource
files by another tool?

BTW, If the answer to question 1 is no, then I'll happily do this on
my own and not bother this mailing list any more.

thanks
Andrew

P.S I have been following the FFmpeg mailing list for a long time, so
I am aware of the high standard you guys have. Therefore, any code I
create will follow the style guidelines and be meticulously checked.

P.P.S My long term goal is to create an open source implementation of
this game using the original songs/images/video.