[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Frame accurate seeking

Artur Bodera abodera
Wed Dec 30 16:36:45 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Karl Blomster <kalle at agigen.se> wrote:

> Artur Bodera wrote:
>
>> Also, feature requests do not belong on this list, and even for a
>>> feature request this lacks an exact description of _what_ you want.
>>>
>>>  Sure, unless I provide a solution, which I did:
>> http://github.com/lbrandy/ffmpeg-fas
>>

> FFmpegSource (http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegsource) does something
> similar. That is, provides a simplified API that gives you frame-accurate
> decoding but not much else. Some people find that quite useful, but from
> what I read about what you actually want to do, it won't help you at all.

Thanks for the tip Karl ! Looks like a workaround. I see it goes a bit
"sideways" because it indexes the file and then uses the data for seeking,
but it's better than nothing. Still, it's using 3rd party lib do to the
seeking, because ffmpeg can't (?).

> If you can accept splitting only at I(DR)-frames, mkvmerge can do this for
> you.   You can always demux/remux back to MP4 later. :V

I tested it, but unfortunatelly it's not always mp4. I need
format-independent way of doing frame-accurate seeking.

A.

--

     __
    /.)\   +48 695 600 936