[FFmpeg-devel] release work

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Feb 1 11:35:36 CET 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 08:30:37PM -0800, Mike Melanson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 02:30 +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> >> OK people, it's time to get some work done, we want to get a release
> >> out the door very soonish.
> >>
> >> The most important thing is not to get bogged down in discussions.
> >> Please keep in mind that we need to keep our attention focused and
> >> not let ourselves get distracted by secondary issues, no matter how
> >> tempting it may be to rant and rave about them.
>
> [...]
>
> Agree 100% That said...
>
> Frans de Boer wrote:
> > Ok, lets follow the guidelines above and do some real work to get a
> > proper release out.
> >
> > Personal note: Some time ago I forced the FFmpeg community to tell the
> > public what the last version was of their so called v51 sources. I
>
> [...]
>
> Can we adminstratively ban this guy before he lobs another rhetorical
> grenade into the discourse?

Noone has ever been baned of ffmpeg-dev, and i dont see how frans here would
have deserved to be the first ...

Some may feel annoyed by some mail, well follow diegos suggestion and ignore
it. Or follow mine, and write a single reply stating your oppinion (if there
is something to state) and stating that you will not reply any further.

I will ban real spammers and mail loops, not people who make on topic
comments that some might feel offended by / that may be trollish / or rude.

The big danger with baning trolls is that the difference between a troll and
someone expressing a different viewpoint in a maybe less than ideal way is
very small. Such baning can lead to a rather narrow minded project that
censors its critics by technical means ...
Also people involved in a heated discussion tend to be poor judges of the
opposition they argue with ...

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities
are wrong. -- Voltaire