[FFmpeg-devel] Supporting container formats with PTS gaps (Ogg)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Feb 2 16:53:33 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 03:02:03PM +0000, Robert Swain wrote:
> 2009/2/2 M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com>:
> > Robert Swain <robert.swain at gmail.com> writes:

> >> That's why I said at the very least be an option, rather than just
> >> spitting the "non-monotone timestamps" error. In this situation would
> >> it not be considered required?
> >
> > That depends on the target container.  E.g. MPEG doesn't need all the
> > timestamps.
>
> If MPEG doesn't need all the time stamps then would it spit that error
> in this situation?

mpeg does not store all timestamps, that is true, but the mpeg muxer,
at least ours needs all timestamps (or at least more than the minimum
guranteed from mpeg input). Kinda tricky to conform to the
buffer and interleaving requirements of mpeg without knowing the
timestamps at all.

In the end this can be summarized like
* mans dislikes timestamp interpolation
* mpeg requires timestamp interpolation
* mpeg is not badly designed according to mans
* thus it must be someone elses fault, like mine or ffmpegs

if someone has a constructive idea iam all ears of course but
just not doing the timestamp interpolation isnt going to work out, even
if a target container of mpeg-ps/ts could handle it, practically no other
container could, so it would not really fix the non monotone issue.
(also its a 1 line change to disable the timestamp interpolation if
 someone wants it ...)

Besides, the non monotone timestamp issue is a bug in one of 4 places
0 ffmpeg.c simply being buggy and creating wrong timestamps where there
  where none
1 ffmpeg.c, because ffmpeg should replace invalid timestamps by valid and
  guessed ones when remuxing or transcoding
2 The input streams simply containing invalid timestamps (yes, there are
  mpeg files with wrong timestamps) the issue here is feeding the
  interpolation code with wrong values produces wrong interpolation values
  maybe we could handle this better ...
3 Bugs in the interpolation code itself

for h.264 its primarely 3. for others its primarely the others

iam interrested in non h264 timestamp interpolation bug reports ...
the only ive seen so far turned out being either broken files or
bugs of the 0th kind above.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. -- Aristotle