[FFmpeg-devel] Supporting container formats with PTS gaps (Ogg)

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Feb 2 19:24:11 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 06:17:30PM +0200, Tomer Barletz wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > mpeg does not store all timestamps, that is true,
>
> What do you mean by 'mpeg'? do you mean mpeg-2 video?

mpeg 1 and 2, PS and TS

> > but the mpeg muxer,
> > at least ours needs all timestamps (or at least more than the minimum
> > guranteed from mpeg input). Kinda tricky to conform to the
> > buffer and interleaving requirements of mpeg without knowing the
> > timestamps at all.
>
> As far as I've seen, the PES encoder does not generate a PES header
> for each frame, so maybe I don't understand something - but the muxer
> definitely does not create all timestamps.

there are limits on the buffer sizes, if you do not know the dts you do
not know when a frame is removed thus you do not know if your buffer will
overflow, underflow or neither.

and please keep in mind we dont implement a suboptimal CBR-only muxer but
try to use the buffers to their full extend permitted by the spec.

and there is no such thing called a PES encoder

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch