[FFmpeg-devel] Longevity Test Report

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Feb 4 13:38:40 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 01:08:23PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 12:52:57PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > >
> > > Neither your suggestions nor memwatch allow to get a backtrace AFAICT.
> >
> > what backtrace do you want that you dont get?
> > valgrind can provide pretty backtraces when you compile without
> > -fomit-frame-pointer and possibly -g<large number>
>
> Uh, his suggestions were av_leak_malloc(size,__FILE__,__LINE) and
> memwatch, valgrind was mine. I was arguing that the suggested solutions
> are worse than the existing once, including gdb.

sorry i was tired and mixed things up ...

> And I have seen more cases where removing -fomit-frame-pointer hindered
> debugging (due to hiding bugs) than where it helped, so I consider that really
> bad advice. Inlining is far more of a issue for debugging IMO.
> -g3 is advisable though.

if you need a full backtrace, and your tool doesnt provide it without
-fomit-frame-pointer, adding -fomit-frame-pointer is a solution, finding
a better tool is another of course.

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know
nothing. -- Socrates