[FFmpeg-devel] Longevity Test Report

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Feb 4 20:13:21 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 02:00:04PM -0500, Alexander Strange wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2009, at 6:22 AM, Robert Swain wrote:

> >> There are more than enough tools that do that already, only that most
> >> suck. Please spend your efforts on fixing/improving those general
> >> solutions instead implementing you own and very limited version.
> >> Also the issue is not really a leak otherwise valgrind would probably
> >> work fine (even if a little slow, and not on Windows).
> >
> > Nor Mac OS X.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Rob
>
> The experimental valgrind port works fine: http://www.sealiesoftware.com/valgrind/
>
> and OS X already comes with 'leaks' and 'malloc_history' anyway.
> Nobody seems interested in backtraces that work with -fomit-frame-
> pointer, though, even though it should be possible using DWARF.

DWARF? ive seen tools on win32 make more sense of the stack with
ebp used without any debuging symbols nor source than most FOSS
tools with both

really, its not hard to check if 32/64 bit values on the stack point to
a instruction directly after a call opcode.

I wish the Xiph folks would stop pretending they've got something they
do not.  Somehow I fear this will remain a wish. -- M?ns Rullg?rd