[FFmpeg-devel] lavfi state of affairs

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Feb 6 14:08:59 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:37:51AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> kOn Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 07:55:24PM -0800, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> > On 2/5/2009 7:15 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 05:26:33PM -0800, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
[...]
> > > There is a 8 bit paletted format (PIX_FMT_PAL8) it can have an
> > > arbitrary palette. There is a 8 bit paletted format (PIX_FMT_BGR8)
> > > that has a single systematic 884 palette. There is a 8 bit paletted
> > > format (PIX_FMT_XXX) that has a single systematic 666 palette.
> > >
> > > imgconvert supports outputting PIX_FMT_XXX (while using the enum
> > > value of PIX_FMT_PAL8 for it incorrectly due to lack of a
> > > PIX_FMT_XXX) swscale supports outputting PIX_FMT_BGR8 neither support
> > > arbitrary palettes nor the others systematic palette if they support
> > > PIX_FMT_PAL8 is a matter of philosophy you could say both do because
> > > each support a systematic paletted 8bit format or you could say
> > > neither does because neither supports an arbitrary palette

> > > iam not going to fix imgconvert which would mean make it reject PAL8
> > > add a RGB666 and make it accept that instead and then add RGB666,
> > > PAL8, BGR8 and RGB8 to gif
> > >
> > > i will simply ignore imgconvert and fix gif+swscale i hope this will
> > > end this discussion because honestly iam sick of it.
> >
> > I'm sad to hear that finally explaining non obvious parts makes you
> > being sick.
>
> what makes me sick is that you talk about bugs in gif.c and utils.c as
> if they where bugs in swscale.
> it works with imgconvert because it has matching bugs that cancel the
> effect of bugs in utils.c
> but let us rather fix the issues instead of continuing this discussion

as promissed, ive fixed gif + swscale, also note that not a single byte
in libswscale/* was changed all the issues where in imgconvert* utils.c
and gif.c

also ive added 2 lines clarifying the 8bpp formats in relation to palettes

and gifs now look vastly better than before and you can also make grayscale
and 16color gifs as a sideeffect

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know
nothing. -- Socrates