[FFmpeg-devel] [RELEASE] freeze

Roman V. Shaposhnik rvs
Mon Feb 9 18:18:13 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 12:15 -0500, compn wrote:
> >Nobody else volunteered to be release manager.  I told beforehand what
> >I would do.  It's a little late to complain now.  But I don't really
> >care.  It takes less time to find out the result of this experiment
> >than to discuss all its details beforehand.
> >
> >You are most welcome to lead the next release effort.
>
> i volunteer to be the next release manager. and to get all of the
> omnipotent power that comes along with the job, mwahahahahaha.
>
> any objections?

Well, that is precisely why releases are supposed to be as non-obtrusive
as possible to the mainline development. Because you know what? You
don't have to wait to be the next one. You can do a *concurrent* release
with what Diego is doing as long as it doesn't hinder the development
progress. Releases are *services* to the community. As such, they
are subject to the very same Darwinian principles as the rest of the
services: e.g. we didn't like sourceforge we moved on.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. This will be my last email in this thread, I promise. I need to
fix DV on ppc, after all ;-)