[FFmpeg-devel] [RELEASE] freeze

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Feb 9 18:58:59 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 06:25:21PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > > You never gave people a chance to complain.
> >
> > I believe this is a crucial point here. For example, regardless
> > of my personal attitude towards releases, I've seen a number
> > of them. Good and bad. That experience seems to be worth
> > taking into account. I'm sure others have the very similar bits
> > of personal experience as well. I don't think Diego took
> > any of that into account.
>
> What I took into account are my experiences with MPlayer releases and
> the attitude towards releases some people have around here.  IMO clearly
> the biggest detractor is bickering and bikeshed discussions.  It's also
> what I think discouraged and demotivated such efforts in the past.
>
> Thus my main effort is focussed on avoiding these distractions.
> So far it's going fairly well, but somebody always seems to find an
> opportunity to derail the effort...

Also - as I have said before - this is an experiment.  Let's run the
release this way for now.  We can discuss the outcome afterwards and
learn from the experience.

But hypothetical discussions about how releases in FFmpeg could work
without prior experience to draw conclusions from are IMO fruitless and
discourage people from accepting the challenge of actually trying to
make a release.

Mike said something to the effect of "You don't want to help, fine.
Just don't get in the way.".  Please take this to heart.

Diego