[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg.org clean up

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Feb 16 22:37:04 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 08:02:36PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:37:57AM -0800, Mike Melanson wrote:
> > Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > >
> > > Forget the cross-browser constraint.  Just make sure it follows the
> > > relevant standards.  Browsers will eventually catch up, except maybe
> > > IE, the use of which should be discouraged anyway.
> >
> > So, adhere to standards that no one uses,
>
> I beg your pardon?  The rendering engines of Firefox,  Safari and Opera
> adhere closely to standards and even IE is catching up by leaps and
> bounds.  This statement comes straight out of the 1990s...
>
> > and that the biggest browser on the market does not care about?
>
> In our "market" IE has a share of 23%, while Firefox has almost 50%.
>
> http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/awstats/mplayerhq.hu/200812/awstats.mplayerhq.hu.browserdetail.html
>
> Don't waste your time accomodating people that can fix their problems by
> quickly downloading Firefox or upgrading their IE and make the world a
> better place in the process.
>

> Back when I redesigned the MPlayer homepage I tried to make it work on
> IE, but the pain was just too big and the code uglification too
> enormous.

so even though the page doesnt work in IE correctly there still are 23%
using IE?

> We have no customers to scare away and no external requests to satisfy.
> Just do the right thing, let the IE-using lamers feel the pain.  They
> will switch browsers or upgrade if it is improtant to them.
>
> I really don't know why you even want to bother...

let me as project leader say it once, hard and simple
if whoever designs the webpage knowingly designs it in a way that doesnt work
on a major browser. That is for example using a feature that is known not to
be supported on a major browser in way that is mandatory to view the page,
then i will replace that person by someone else who has the competence to
write plain html 3.2/4.0 without weird features.
And iam not saying iam against using SVG/canvas but if someone wants it he
also has to implement a fallback (png) for the cases where its not supported.

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. -- Aristotle