[FFmpeg-devel] Need help in getting started

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Wed Feb 18 00:36:20 CET 2009

On date Tuesday 2009-02-17 20:53:18 +0100, Vitor Sessak encoded:
> Ratnadeep Debnath wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have been a Fedora user for last one year. I am learning C, python,
> > C++. Every time, I setup a system ( mine or other's) I remember doing
> > $yum install ffmpeg*
> >
> > I was said that I need this to play audio and video. Now I am
> > interested in knowing how ffmpeg works, and how I can contribute
> > towards its development.
> > Where do I start and how?
>
> 1. Read the FFmpeg documentation and learn the basics of using the
> command line ffmpeg tool.
>
> 2. Understand the difference between libavcodec/libavformat
>
> 3. Understand more or less how the source code is organized and learn
> how to compile/build it from source code
>
> 4. Follow this list for a few weeks to understand how patch submission
> works and what we value/do not accept in patches
>
> 5. Find a task to start coding (use the wiki page people pointed you
> to). Don't be too bold, start with something easy. Read also the FFmpeg
> codec/demuxer howtos.

I wonder if that would be possible to mark in roundup the level of
(the estimated) difficulty of a task, I know other projects do some
similar thing, this way new wannabee contributors could simply pickup
an easy task and start to work on it, rather than wander for hours in
roundup.

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Fostering and Fantastic Meaningful Practical EntanGlement