[FFmpeg-devel] RTP PCM_MULAW packet size

Alexandre FERRIEUX - FT/RD/SIRP/ASF/SOFTL alexandre.ferrieux
Thu Feb 19 09:16:24 CET 2009

Georges-Etienne Legendre wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out where in the code the size is really enforced
> (where before the call to rtp_write_packet).
>
> For my use case, I need to send RTP packets with 80 bytes of payload,
> at their respective rate (not in block).

As a side note, (I'm also interested in the answer as an aid to grasp
the ffmpeg code), may I ask why you care ?

Of course there are bursts, but the average bitrate is respected. And on
a realistic IP network (especially mobile), this may even be the result
of an intervening network component (a buffering gateway). So even if
you twist ffmpeg's arm hard enough to do the very smooth sprinkling you
are after, it may still be completely wasted by external constraints.

Can you elaborate on the specific receiver you are using, which is not
able to buffer these bursts ?

-Alex