[FFmpeg-devel] new warning in libavcodec/dv.c

Dominique Leuenberger dominique-ffmpeg-devel
Thu Feb 19 12:20:46 CET 2009

Hi,

this code snipet produces a new warning (especially on newer compilers):

static av_always_inline int dv_guess_dct_mode(DVVideoContext *s,
uint8_t *data, int linesize) {
     if (s->avctx->flags & CODEC_FLAG_INTERLACED_DCT) {
         int ps = s->ildct_cmp(NULL, data, NULL, linesize, 8) - 400;
         if (ps > 0) {
             int is = s->ildct_cmp(NULL, data           , NULL,
linesize<<1, 4) +
                      s->ildct_cmp(NULL, data + linesize, NULL,
linesize<<1, 4);
             return (ps > is);
         }
     } else
         return 0;
}
The 'issue' is reaching a non-void function without returning a value.
At first sight, of course you would say this is nonsense and a wrong
warning by the compiler, but by looking closer you can see that the
compiler is right:

in case of the nested if (ps > 0) not being evaluated to true, no
return value is specified. the 'final' else is never reached. and thus
no return value given at all.

I think the 'simplest' solution would be to just drop the else and
have return 0; unconditional happening at the end. On the other hand
I'm not sure if this is what it is supposed to do.

Dominique