[FFmpeg-devel] Use of FFmpeg Logo

Hervé herve.flores
Mon Feb 23 11:38:39 CET 2009

Hello, I'm graphist

Le 23 f?vr. 09 ? 01:05, Diego Biurrun a ?crit :

> Do we need to develop a set of guidelines for
> its usage?

yes,
the commun "bible" ("graphic charter"? it's the litteral translation
of the french formulation) is:
- how to use the logo on background colors (show if it is in a white
box or a transparency background), on white background color, on black
background color
- how to use the logo for RGB purposes (eg: web), for CMYK (print),
for just a few colors (Pantones colors, Tee-Shirt, ? )
the "bible" is just a .pdf file with some samples and a "how to"

Le 23 f?vr. 09 ? 02:59, Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :

> Iam not sure, you are our legal expert. What does the law (in general)
> already allow people to do with logos?

About Logo use:
your logo is not registered (?, ?, ?, etc) ?and in fact, you don't
mind (FFmpeg is well know ;-))

on the web site, just add a "press/logo" link with a license and a
checkbox (to access to the download  "tarball" file, .zip or .gz)
the same license will be above the checkbox, and in the .pdf (and in
plain text if you want)

you can write something like this (I don't use english formulation,
but you certainly encountered it)

"License Agreement:

FFmpeg and its logo is the property of the FFmpeg project.

We grant to you a non-exclusive, non-transferable worldwide license to
use the Logo for the Permitted Uses (as defined below). Unless the
activity or use is a Permitted Use, you cannot do it. All other rights
in and to the Content, including, without limitation, all copyright
and other intellectual property rights relating to the Content, are
retained by the FFmpeg project (a real name will be better) or the
supplier of the Content (the real name here, Mans?), as the case may be.

You can only use it according to the graphic charter,

and add the limitations etc (pornographic use, re-sale, alterations,
forbidden to use by a non-GPL/LGPL compliant app , etc)"

see here for a classic contract
http://www.istockphoto.com/license.php

just some notices about the logo:

because of the rescale, the FFmpeg text has some different bold (some
letters are bigger than others)
it will be better to clean it
eg:
actual