[FFmpeg-devel] swscale / ac3 decoding and lgpl

Diego Biurrun diego
Thu Feb 26 00:03:49 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 04:19:04PM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

> from README...
>
> * libpostproc and libswscale are distributed under the GNU General Public
>   License, see the file COPYING.GPL for details. Their compilation and use
>   in FFmpeg is optional.
>
> libswscale is LGPL now, no? Can the README be updated?

I assume you missed the last round of changes to the README?  I suggest
you go and read the thread on -cvslog, it contains the answers.

> Also...
>
> * The file libavcodec/ac3dec.c is distributed under the GNU General Public
>   License.  In order for (E-)AC-3 decoding to work you need to enable GPL
>   components.
>
> What's left to do? Is this documented somewhere? Would be nice to have
> AC-3 / LGPL decoding.

Something was said about Walken giving his OK to relicense as LGPL once
E-AC-3 decoding was supported.  Unfortunately Walken responded at first
to enquires from Justin and myself but then simply ignored us...

Diego