[FFmpeg-devel] MPEG Audio elementary streams and layers

Marc Mason mpeg.blue
Mon Jan 5 12:30:07 CET 2009

[Sorry for the delay.]

Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> On 2008-12-16, Marc Mason wrote:
>
>> Michael Niedermayer wrote:

>> Does anybody remember what the comment means ?
>
> svn blame will tell you who and when that comment was added...

Fabrice added it 5 years ago. But I don't understand what it means.

BTW, svn blame fails for large files in my cygwin env :-(

$ svn blame avcodec.h
svn: Can't open '/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/tmp.2.tmp':
Permission denied

(Yet it works for small files like g729.h)

> but looking again, the codec_id likely should be handled like the sample
> rate

What do you mean ?

> this should be more robust in presence of errors that might look like
> valid headers.
>
>> In that case, setting sub_id becomes redundant, doesn't it ?
>
> if you remove its only use from utils.c ...

I noticed that decode_frame() also calls ff_mpegaudio_decode_header()
and I suppose decode_frame() is called for every frame.

decode_frame changes the sub_id; sub_id represents the layer i.e. the
algorithm used to encode the frame AFAIU. Is it legal to change layers
mid-stream in an MPEG Audio stream ?

     /* update codec info */
     avctx->channels = s->nb_channels;
     avctx->bit_rate = s->bit_rate;
     avctx->sub_id = s->layer;

I suppose it is legal for nb_channels and bit_rate to change ?

I've attached a small, trivial patch to spark more discussion.

Creating a new CODEC_ID will change the value of all subsequent
CODEC_ID. Is this an issue ?

--
Regards.