[FFmpeg-devel] Probable WunderRadio ffmpeg LGPL violation

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Jan 14 19:48:53 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 06:41:15PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:26:18PM -0500, Len Towers wrote:
> > The ffmpeg and libmms copyright holders would seem to have an upper hand in
> > this one as there is a single distribution channel for their application
> > (the Apple App Store).  So if they don't comply with the license, the
> > copyright holders could probably petition Apple to remove the application.
> >  I'm sure that would get their attention.
>
> Um, I'd say please contact Apple directly. If it is shipped without a
> copy of the (L)GPL it is definitely in violation, and since Apple is
> distributing/copying it, _Apple_ is the one who is liable in the first
> place.

AFAIK & IANAL the iphone only runs applications that are cryptographically
signed by apple (not counting things like javascript and not counting hacked
aka jailbroken iphones)
This prevents any user from using a modified ffmpeg no matter how its linked
without apples cooperation thus i do not see how apple could distribute
any *GPL code with the iphone legally no matter what kind of text they append.
IANAL

If above is true, its a case the SFLC should be looking into, it would be
great if the whole scheme of locking hardware to run only some software
approved by the manufactor would be declared to be in violation of
anti trust laws or something ...
it surely is wrong from a moral point of view to prevent the owner of
a piece of hardware to use it as he sees fit.

Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not
or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and
the brevity of human life -- Protagoras