[FFmpeg-devel] uint32_t arg and %X conversion specifier

Marc Mason mpeg.blue
Thu Jan 15 15:49:03 CET 2009

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> Marc Mason wrote:
>
>> I see two ways to fix the following (very minor) warning.
>>
>> avidec.c:428: warning: format '%X' expects type 'unsigned int', but
>> argument 4 has type 'uint32_t'
>>
>> 1) cast the arg to unsigned long
>> http://home.att.net/~jackklein/c/inttypes.html#long
>> drawback : on platforms where long are 64-bits wide, this will push 4
>> useless ( == 0 ) octets
>
> One could cast to unsigned int too.

I don't think so.

Consider a platform where
sizeof(unsigned int)  = 16 bits
sizeof(unsigned long) = 32 bits

On such a platform, uint32_t would probably be typedef'ed to unsigned
long. Casting to unsigned int would truncate the value.

While long and unsigned long must be at least 32-bits wide by design.

>> 2) use the appropriate macro for the conversion specifier
>> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/inttypes.h.html
>> drawback : C99 specific ??
>
> We already use those in many places.  The avidec maintainer can decide
> what to do.

FWIW, I prefer the second solution (I spent too much time with the
"casts are baaad, mmmkay" crowd).

--
Regards.