[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] abs vs FFABS

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Jan 17 17:50:53 CET 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 11:45:36AM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi Mans,
>
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 11:33 AM, M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com> wrote:
> > The result is discarded, so there is no need to calculate it at all.
> > Why don't you check the assembler yourself and see that the loops are
> > gone.
>
> I don't know how to check asm but I trust your judgement, hopefully

the gcc manual explains which flags make gcc output asm, object files, ...

> with good reason. So how can I/you test it then?

just accumulate the results in something and printf() it
(this should be enough for gcc, but you can still use some value from
the command line as seed for the PRNG)

There will always be a question for which you do not know the correct awnser.