[FFmpeg-devel] mpeg2ts/udp --> broken display by set-top-box

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Thu Jan 22 10:46:56 CET 2009

Hi Alexandre,

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 09:49 +0100, Alexandre FERRIEUX -
FT/RD/SIRP/ASF/SOFTL wrote:
[...]
> > Maybe setting a maxrate in the codec can help?
>
> Thanks for all these hints, I will dig further.
>
> A few "metalevel" questions though:
>
> How would you rate FFmpeg's TS muxer wrt vlc's (libdvbpsi) ? Is it "just
> as good" ?

I'd say each of them has its own problems.

>  Is it widely used ? In case of a negative answer, would it
> make sense to switch to libdvbpsi (no idea of licensing issues though) ?

I think the right way to go is to finish integrating the SoC TS muxer in
the main trunk (hint, hint ;-). You can test the SoC muxer, and maybe if
it works well for you you can help with the integration.

> Do you know of an existing tool that would take an existing .ts file and
> stream it over UDP (by chunks of 7 TS packets) at the proper speed
> without touching the mux ? ("ffmpeg -i file.ts -vcodec copy -f mpegts"
> still demuxes and remuxes).

I do not know about such a tool, but I suspect it can be easily written
in few hours.

			Luca